One of the ways to lose weight healthfully, quickly, and effectively is to start a low-carb diet, also known as a”low carb diet.
This consists of reducing the amount of carbohydrates on your menu and increasing your protein intake.
This type of diet helps to reduce appetite, causing automatic weight loss.
No need to control the portions of food you put on your plate or count calories. That is, you can eat until you are satisfied and still lose weight.
- 1 Why should I eat a low carbohydrate diet to lose weight?
- 2 How to calculate the amount of carbohydrates to consume daily?
- 3 How many carbohydrates do you need to eat every day to lose weight?
- 4 Food allowed
- 5 Food NOT allowed
- 6 Daily and weekly menu of the daylow carbohydrate diet
- 7 Boost your metabolism with the low carbohydrate diet
- 8 Care needed when eating a low carbohydrate diet
- 9 Benefits of a low carbohydrate diet
Why should I eat a low carbohydrate diet to lose weight?
Over the past few decades, health authorities have recommended that you eat a low-calorie diet. However, the problem is, this diet doesn‘t really work.
Even though people manage to do it to the letter, the results are not favorable, and they go hungry.
In this sense, there is an alternative, a diet low in hydrates and high in proteins, to lose weight. Which has been available for some time.
It reduces the consumption of carbohydrates such as pasta, bread and sweets, replacing it with proteins and fats.
According to studies, they have proven that these diets decrease appetite.
You can increase your calories, losing weight with less effort, as long as you control the amount of carbohydrates you eat. The study revealed:
- Outcome of studies conducted: Comparisons were made in two groups of people who were dieting. It was necessary to compare the low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet between the low-fat and the calorie-restricted diet. The researchers restricted calories in the group of people who ate low-fat foods, while the group of people who followed the carbohydrate diet to lose weight lost more weight.
Diets low in carbohydrates, produce greater weight loss, also favorably health. Studies show that they are more effective and healthy than a low-fat diet.
How to calculate the amount of carbohydrates to consume daily?
Optimal carbohydrate intake varies from person to person. There is no exact criterion as to how much sugars and carbohydrates are available.
Carbohydrate intake will depend on the sex, age, body composition, activity level, culture, personal preferences and health of the individual.
People who are physically active and have more muscle mass may include more carbohydrates in their diets than people who are sedentary.
This includes, especially those who perform exercises, such as weight lifting, anaerobic exercises, crossfit, among others.
People with this type of diabetes do not tolerate the same amount of carbohydrates as other people. Scientists describe them as: carbohydrate intolerance (3).
In summary, the optimal level of carbohydrate depends on many factors, and varies from person to person. Therefore, a low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss is not only recommended for weight loss, but can significantly improve your health.
How many carbohydrates do you need to eat every day to lose weight?
It’s simple, you just have to eliminate unhealthy carbohydrates, such as refined wheat and added sweets. As a result, you will improve your health and reduce your intake of carbohydrates.
However, in order for you to fully benefit from low-fat diets, it is important to restrict other sources of carbohydrates.
Although there is no scientific rule or document to support how to ingest carbohydrates, depending on how each individual needs it. The following combinations can be very effective:
From 100 to 150 grams of carbohydrates per day
This amount is a moderate intake. It is very suitable for physically active people, but who do not want to lose weight, but to maintain their weight.
However, you may lose weight in this category of carbohydrates, so you may need to count calories and measure your servings.
- All the vegetables you want.
- Various daily fruits, the pieces you like.
- Healthy starches (small amounts), including potatoes, rice, and oats.
50 to 100 grams of carbohydrates per day
It’s a high category, if you want to lose weight without much effort, while being allowed to consume carbohydrates.
- Lots of vegetables
- Two or three pieces of fruit a day.
- Low in carbohydrates.
20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates per day
This category is where the amount of carbohydrates is most restricted. That’s where the metabolic benefits will really be felt. It is especially indicated for people who are obese or have type II diabetes. They also need to lose weight faster.
In this sense, by consuming 50 grams of carbohydrates daily, the body will enter into ketosis (metabolic state, the body burns fats instead of sugar). This is ideal for reducing appetite, losing weight instantly.
- Lots of low carb vegetables.
- Avocado, seeds and nuts, which contain little carbohydrates.
Choose low carbohydrate sources with fiber. You can choose a moderate intake of carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes, rice, oats and grains, that do not contain gluten. Here are some foods according to their source:
- Fish: Trout, salmon, crustaceans, haddock, among others. Preferably wild.
- Meats: Lamb, beef, chicken, pork. If they are fed grass much better.
- Fruits: Oranges, apples, pears, strawberries and cranberries.
- Vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, aubergines, lettuce and others.
- Vegetables: Celery, carrots, potatoes, among others.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, chia seeds, chuyama seeds, peanuts, among others.
- Dairy: Cream of milk, cheese, yogurt and butter.
- Oils: Coconut, olive, cod, fish liver and lard.
- Eggs. All of them. Preferably, they should be enriched.
It is essential that you choose healthy sources of carbohydrates.
Food NOT allowed
A low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss should be based on natural, low-carbohydrate foods. Do not include processed foods, because they contain a lot of sugars. Here we show you the forbidden foods, according to their source:
- Gluten grains: Barley, wheat, rye, bread and pasta.
- Sugar: Ice cream, fruit pulp, ice cream, sweets, among others.
- Oils and seeds: Oils with high content of Omega 6, soya, cotton, sunflower, grape and corn seeds, among others.
- Sweeteners: Saccharin, aspartame, cyclamates, sucralose and potassium acesufame. He opts for stevia as a substitute.
Here’s a preview of the Carbohydrate-Free Diet Daily Menu for a week:
- Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with coconut oil or butter, with vegetables.
- Lunch: A blueberry and almond yogurt (which fits in the palm of your hand).
- Dinner: Homemade chicken burger with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Bacon, 2 eggs and coffee.
- Lunch: Grilled boneless chicken leg with vegetables.
- Dinner: Vegetables with butter and grilled salmon.
- Breakfast: Vegetables with egg.
- Lunch: Shrimp salad and add olive oil.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Tortilla with vegetables.
- Lunch: Almond milkshake, berries, coconut milk and protein powder.
- Dinner: 2 beef steaks with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Eggs with bacon and two pineapple slices.
- Lunch: Chicken salad and a dash of olive oil.
- Dinner: Pork chops and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Tortilla with vegetables.
- Lunch: A yogurt with berries, coconut flakes and nuts.
- Dinner: Grilled tuna, vegetables and olive oil.
- Breakfast: Eggs and bacon.
- Lunch: Protein shake: Coconut milk, chocolate, heavy cream, berries and protein powder.
- Dinner: White asparagus with 5 baked chicken wings.
Boost your metabolism with the low carbohydrate diet
Thanks to this diet, your metabolism accelerates. This is because it reduces blood levels of insulin. Which retains sodium, therefore, diets high in carbohydrates retain excess fluid. Then, by reducing carbohydrates, insulin (3) removes excess water.
It is normal for people to lose weight in the form of water, during the first few days, between 2 to 5 kilos. After the first week, weight loss will be reduced, losing more fat, instead of fluids.
One study compared low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets using DEXA scanners to measure body composition.
The result was that, on a diet without carbohydrates and sugar, body fat was reduced and muscle mass was gained. They are also effective in reducing fat in the abdomen.
Care needed when eating a low carbohydrate diet
Remember that, for any diet you wish to follow, you must have patience and proper care if you wish to succeed. And this is no exception, so take note of the following care:
- Be sure to maintain a low-carbohydrate diet over time.
- Consult with your nutritionist, so that he or she can adapt the low-carbohydrate diet according to your needs.
- Try to follow the feeding guide provided.
- Incorporate physical activity into your low-carbohydrate diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
Also be sure if you want to start a low-carbohydrate diet, to be able to keep it over time, because if you return to your previous habits, your weight may increase more easily.
Benefits of a low carbohydrate diet
There are many benefits, besides losing weight, that help you improve your overall health. Among the main benefits are the following:
- Regulates blood pressure.
- Lower blood sugar, reducing the risk of diabetes II.
- Improves HDL (4) and LDL (5) cholesterol.
- Reduces anxiety, cravings for sweets.
- Eliminates stomach heaviness.
- Controls acne.
- Increases physical endurance.
- Low triglyceride levels.
Now that you know all about the low carb diet, find out which category you are in and get ready to lose weight quickly and healthily!